Sunday, August 23, 2009

Copper Bearing Material

I've been getting my craft on quite a bit for the last week or so. I've completed no less than 5 pairs of earrings and 17 bracelets. (Yes!!) There'd be more earrings if I had inexpensive access to used french hooks, or the materials to make my own. Where is a SCRAP reuse craft store when you need one? Now I have more jewelry than I could ever want for just myself, so I have to either give it away or try to sell it. But selling comes later. You want a bracelet? Maybe some earrings??













While interning in the recycling department of Free Geek I (legitimately) salvaged a mess of snazzy heavy metal junk from their obsolete waste stream for my own art purposes. I told myself that I would use the coated and copper wires, the nuts and bolts, and the other miscellaneous aluminum and plastic pieces in my craft stash before returning to Oregon. ...This is what happens when one sets goals: you get a mess of copper junk.



But! It's pretty and colorful junk, I must say.

































And it's wearable junk. ooh.



I'm about to start reading "High Tech Trash - Digital Devices, Hidden Toxics, and Human Health," by Elizabeth Grossman. Maybe I'll develop an even better understanding of why I feel like I have to do what I do after reading it. I've been studying garbage and related issues while here in Montana and High Tech Trash is next on my must-read list. I also have to return my copy of the book to the Bitterroot Public Library very soon.

/sigh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

v_(@)